Opus Ithaca Summer Choral Institute
Come join us in experiencing the joy of choral singing with two wonderful and enthusiastic choral experts! We will have introductory-level groups, as well as more advanced groups. No prior experience or audition necessary!
The week will include ensemble singing, musical games, and music theory/aural skills as well as master classes with guest artists in solo singing, acting and movement. At the end of the week we will have a beautiful concert for families and friends with professional guest choir ALCHEMY. Each day will include welcome time, yoga, separate choir rehearsals for grades 4-7 and grades 8-12, guest sessions, lunch at the park, and combined choir rehearsals (all students).
Instructors: Kristin Zaryski and Melissa Rooklidge
Date: August 13-17
Time: 9AM- 3PM – extra concert on Saturday with ALCHEMY
Location: Opus Ithaca School of Music, 402 N. Aurora St.
Age of students: Entering grades 4-12
Tuition: $250 per singer, $220 for siblings
Guest Sessions will include:
- Daily morning yoga with certified instructor (and piano faculty at Opus) Jessica Caporizzo
- Feldenkrais with guild-certified practitioner Carol McAmis
- Singing spirituals and gospel with Dr. Baruch Whitehead
- Getting tips about how to audition for a musical with Broadway veteran Courtney Young
- Learning about the college music audition process with Bradley Whittemore (Assistant Director of Music Admission at Ithaca College)
- Delving into the art of performing art songs with Dann Coakwell, DMA
- Discovering the joy of conducting with Dr. Sean Linfors
- Experiment with improv and vocal jazz with Catherine Gale (faculty at Opus Ithaca)
Alchemy, the vocal chamber ensemble of the GMChorale, is a company of musicians composed of music educators, professional soloists and performers, and skilled ensemble singers and instrumentalists. Alchemy’s mission is to advance and support the GMChorale’s vision of “Singing for a Lifetime” through concert tours, collaborations, musical leadership, education, and community engagement. Led by founding Artistic Director Joseph D’Eugenio, the ensemble, known for its ability to adapt its sound to a broad variety of repertoire, took the name “Alchemy” in recognition of the ancient, mystical art of creating gold through a process of transformation and refinement. Established in 2016 and already recognized for its vocal beauty, richness, and subtlety, this ensemble brings a touch of gold to concerts and collaborations of the highest musical quality. The members of Alchemy are also members of the 80-voice Chorale, which performs a wide range of choral music from several centuries, from beloved masterworks to newly commissioned pieces.
Scholarships ARE available upon request based on financial need. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
There is a $10 registration fee for families not already part of Opus Ithaca. Transportation is not provided.
For further questions, please contact email@example.com.